Friday 10 June 2011

A catch up on last week

Here is the photo I took of the Union Jack quilt that I took to the park on National Quilting Day You can see the band stand in the distance and my bike propped up on the bench. I had a lovely time sewing in threads in the sunshine and I will do it again next year.

Here it is a bit closer up but perspective or camera angle or something makes it look a bit shorter and fatter somehow, I don't understand. I quilted vermichelli in the blue and red areas and left the white without quilting. I would probably do straight line quilting down the stripes if I could load it again. It will go on a table at the back of church for concert thet my uncle is organising next weekend and then my son can have it.

If anyone is in Rugby on 18th June and would like to support local cancer charities the Geoff Old memorial concert is at St Andrews Church at 7.30

On Tuesday I drove to the other side of Basingstoke to meet up with other longarm quilters. I had a lovely day and came home with some new tools to play with. A longer stitch in the ditch ruler, a couple of clamshell rulers and some sashiko rulers, I have a quilt on the frame at the moment and several more to do but I am looking forward to having time to play with these.

On Thursday I met up with some friends at the Bramble Patch for their exhibition. We enjoyed looking at the quilts very much.

The first quilt I saw I said"Ooh that is striking I like that."

"Good."said Mo "Thats mine." well Mo, you got my vote.

We enjoyed the coffee, scone with cream and jam, lots of chatting and laughing and the sandwich bag competition. There were lots of entries, hand bag style ones, foodie ones and a clever one made from food wrappers. I wish I had taken my camera out of my bag and taken a photo but I forgot. They spent ages trying to guess which one was mine and I am rubbish at lying, I would be totally pants at poker.

Then Mo came back to Rugby to play with my Millie I think she was quite smitten and would like one if she had the room but as I reminded her, her son cooks her tea for her sometimes but the millie sadly won't.
Ladies, I had a really nice day, thank you for your company.

Till next time

Liz




3 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your post! That's a great picture of Mo! She looks so comfortable at the machine :o)

Your Union Jack turned out beautifully...and that first picture is fab! I quite like that idea of stuffing a quilt into the basket and then cycling to the park to do some stitching. Did anyone else meet up with you?

Liz said...

Jane, I was on my own but that was OK I didn't mind.

Contented Caroline said...

Love, love, love the union jack Liz. It's stunning and I'm sure your son will treasure it (maybe in secret as he's 14, but will treaure it nonetheless). It looks like your skills on the longarm are rapidly improving --- ok i'll say it I am very, very jealous. Ok, enough said.